More Motorola X Phone Rumors; Coming to Multiple Carriers, Sold on Google Play, Unlockable Bootloader for Verizon [Updated]
Lately, we’ve heard some really crazy rumors about this Motorola X Phone that both Google and Motorola are working on. We’ve already heard that Google and Motorola will announce it at Google I/O in May, and that it would be available cross carrier. But now we have even more, in-depth information. Let’s run through it real quick:
- Motorola X Phone will be announced at Google I/O in May.
- Current target for release is July 8 (definitely subject to change).
- All carriers will sell the X Phone.
- All versions will also be sold through the Google Play store at similar off-contract price to Nexus line.
- Verizon will sell it for $299 on contract.
- If you want to unlock the bootloader through Verizon, they will charge a $15/month fee.
- If you buy it through Google Play, it comes unlocked with no fee.
- Not a “Nexus” but will come running stock Android and with some bloatware.
- Bloatware can apparently be removed once unlocked.
So where do we begin? Well isn’t this everyone’s dream? A stock Android device being sold on all carriers unlocked. Although Verizon will sell it for $299 on contract, that I think would be true. Then to have the bootloader unlocked, Verizon will charge a $15/month fee? Is it just me, or does that sound like something Verizon would do? But being able to buy an X phone for your favorite through the Play Store may not be the best idea. Anybody remember the Nexus 7, and the Nexus 4/10 launches? Yeah I don’t think we want to go through that again.
Now that Motorola is under Google’s ownership and guidance, it looks like Motorola is trying to do something big and get their customers back. Now if they release this X phone with stock Android and top of the line specs along with the Droid Razr Maxx battery, I’ll buy it in a heartbeat. And I know I’m not alone there.
Update: We’ve got some specs you might like to go along with this:
- 5-inch 1080p display
- quad-core processor (likely the Snapdragon S4 pro)
- 2GB of RAM
- 12MP camera
- Key Lime Pie (Android 5.0?)
- 3300mAh battery, similar to the Droid Razr Maxx HD
- Small bezels similar to the Razr M on Verizon
What are your thoughts on this X phone? Are you excited about it? If not, why not? Let us know in the comments, we love to hear your opinions.